Welcome to SMSD!
We are the Structural and Multidisciplinary Systems Design Lab (SMSD) at Queen’s University, specializing in advanced modeling (FEM) and multi-disciplinary design and optimization. Our state-of-the-art research body has extensive experience in developing and publishing novel academic research for automotive, aerospace, and defense driven applications, utilizing analytical and computational optimization techniques to develop new principles and methodologies to solve practical problems with various industrial partners.
Rubens Publication to Composite Structures - August 30th, 2021
Luke Crispo Publication in IJNME - June 20th, 2021
Rubens Publication in SMO - May 30th, 2021
Shayan Promoted to PhD Program - August 30th, 2021
SMSD Scholarship Recipients - July 27th, 2021
Vishrut Successfully Defends PhD - May 30th, 2021
Professor Il Yong Kim received his Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering) from KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology).He has worked as a postdoctoral researcher and course instructor at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). Dr. Kim is currently a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Queen's University in Kingston, Canada.
- Automotive design and Aerospace design, including hybrid vehicles and lightweight design.
- Advanced, multi-physics modeling and analysis, including FEM.
- Multi-disciplinary, multi-objective design and optimization, including multi-disciplinary topology optimization
- Design for additive manufacturing (DfAM) for aerospace, automotive, and defense
- Advanced manufacturing, including additive manufacturing (3D printing) and metal forming processes.
- Accurate fatigue analysis; Multi-physics neural network modeling; Machine learning; Prognostics and health monitoring.
- Composite modeling; Lightweight design and manufacturing using composites, especially CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics).
- MECH323 Machine Design
- MECH465 Computer Aided Design
- MECH924 Finite Element Analysis of Non-Linear Solids
Merits & Awards:
- Research Excellence Award, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, 2016
- Paper Award (Top 10), Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers (CSME), 2014
- Paper Award (second place), Canadian Congress for Applied Mechanics (CANCAM), 2011
- Nominated for the Steacie Prize, Queen's University, 2011
- The Early Researcher Award, Ministry of Research and Innovation, Ontario, 2010
- Educational excellence and innovation grant for an MIT undergraduate design course "Engineering design and rapid prototyping", MIT, 2003
- Best paper prize, KAIST, 2002
- Silver medal, Samsung Electronics International Paper Contest, 2001
- Fellowship, KOSEF (Korea Science and Engineering Foundation), 2002
- Fellowship, DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), 1998
- Fellowship, JISTEC (Japan International Science & Technology Exchange Center), 1996